“So, do those cookies really work?”
If I had a nickel for every time a nursing mama asked me this…well, let’s just say I’d have a lot of nickels.
Lactation cookies have done an excellent job cornering the market as one of those “must-have” lactation boosting staples and so many of the mamas I talk to certainly swear by them.
But, if you’re anything like me, the idea of baking a big batch of cookies with a new baby in tow or buying one ready-made cookie which will set you back as much as a Starbucks Latte – sure, maybe just a tall latte…but still – is a no-go!
So what’s a busy, pressed-for-time, sleep-deprived, afraid-she’s-going-to-burn-the-cookies mama to do?
Mix and enjoy!
LACTATION (NO-BAKE) ENERGY BITES
With an awesome pairing of chocolate and oats, these super delicious and nutritious lactation energy bites are the perfect grab and go snack for nursing mamas or anyone looking for a healthy boost of energy!
- 1 cup (dry) gluten-free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut (toasted if desired)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup raw, unheated, unfiltered honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Brewer’s Yeast
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Note: Honey should never be given to a child under 12 months old.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Refrigerate mixture for about an hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll into small, equal sized balls.
- Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week, or freeze and take out as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an easy and delicious, quick-grab snack for any mom, breastfeeding or not, to have on hand. If you’re truly experiencing low milk supply please contact your local lactation consultant right away. Relying only on teas, herbal supplements, or lactation treats to help increase supply without addressing the root cause of the low milk supply can hinder a successful breastfeeding outcome.
Learn more here